Friday, March 9, 2012

The Two Questions I Dread/Hate Now That I'm Pregnant

I went to a gathering of sorts last week with a number of people who know that I'm pregnant (and really if they didn't know, all they have to do is look. It's pretty obvious). Anyway, at least twenty people came up to me, looked down at my stomach and then asked, "how are you feeling?" The first one or two times it was fine, but after every person at this gathering did it, I'm pretty sure I wanted to start saying, "I'd be better if you would ask me that at least two more times!" Naturally, I did not, that would have been rude, I of course said that I was feeling fine. What's even more sad is that they didn't want to know about anything else like how school was or how was work or what have I been up to. After I answered that question they would just walk away. Am I really that dull and uninteresting? There isn't anything they would like to talk to me about? What if I had some questions for them? This question doesn't come up at only gatherings, it's everywhere. And sometimes they say it with such a concerned look on their faces. Like they are sorry for my bad health or something. It makes me want to run to the mirror and look at my face to make sure that I don't look incredibly ill. I mean I see myself everyday when I get ready. I don't think I look ill or downtrodden.

The next question that I HATE is, "how is your pregnancy?" Just something about it makes me want to scream. My pregnancy? Who actually asks that anymore? Clearly people do or it wouldn't be something that bugs me so much.

Whatever happened to, "Hi, how are you?" or "What's going on?" These questions were never a problem before I was pregnant, so why are they so hard to use now? Is everything else in my life suddenly put on hold now that I am? I'm not an invalid. In fact my life has been just as busy, if not more since I have become pregnant and that business has nothing to do with my current pregnant condition.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

During my first pregnancy especially, I would get asked by the same co-workers everyday "how are you feeling?" I finally started to reply "pretty much the same as yesterday". It really does get old fast.