Thursday, January 5, 2012

Being Pregnant is Awkwardly Awesome

First off, I just have to say that whoever said that being pregnant was a wonderful experience because it was the beautiful miracle of life, totally lied. I mean yes, it is the miracle of life, but it's not beautiful and wonderful. Unless they enjoy puking all do or feeling like you are going to puke all day, wishing that you would and then when you finally do, not feeling better. At least with the stomach flu you feel better after you throw up.
Currently I'm at that awkward phase where I'm clearly bigger and unable to fit into any clothes, but maternity clothes are just too big and people don't know how to approach me because they think I might be pregnant, but asking would be too weird. I mean what if I weren't pregnant? It's no fun to be that dumb person who just assumes that you are pregnant and asks when really it's just an obscene amount of weight gain so now that person is just a jerk for calling you fat.
The other day at church a woman in relief society was probing about my rapid weight gain. This is how the conversation went:

Lady: So, how long have you been married?
Me: Two years
Lady: How many kids do you want to have (awkward stare at my stomach)?
Me: A few
Lady: How many kids do you have now (awkward stare at my stomach)?
Me: None right now.
Lady: When are you going to have kids (yet another awkward stare at my stomach)?
At this point I figured I better say something because it was clear that she was struggling with the inner conflict to ask or not to ask.
Me: Oh well, I am pregnant now.
Lady: I KNEW IT!

I hope to have many more awkward conversations just like this one with so many more people.

3 comments:

Becky Clinton said...

Lady: Smile, Jenny.
Jenny: Whatever.....

Love you!

Julie S said...

You made me laugh, and I sent a link to your post to my daughters.

Nikki Heape said...

thats so funny. Congrats hun. your going to be a great mom